8 Interesting Facts about Height Increase & Limb Lengthening
Your height is a simple biological fact that you can not change after a certain age, and this may be affecting your destiny in ways you didn’t realise.
According to some research, taller men and women are considered to be more dominant, healthy, and intelligent, and are more likely to be chosen for more competitive jobs. Of course, not all high achievers are tall. E.g. Napoleon Bonaparte, Winston Churchill and Joseph Stalin, who we know well from history, were short men.
Thanks to the bone lengthening surgery that Gavriil Ilizarov invented in the 20th century, some short men could get rid of the short stature complex. Especially in recent years, there are high demand for limb lengthening surgeries as well as other cosmetic procedures.
So we decided to compile some interesting facts about “height” topic:
Did you know?
- Bone lengthening surgery was invented incidentally by the Russian doctor Gavriil Ilizarov in the 1950s. A patient of Dr. Ilizarov was using the device called “external fixator”for fracture treatment to fix the bones at that time and wrongly turned screws to the other side. On the next check-up, Gavriil Ilizarov noticed that new bone tissue was formed in the gap between the two bones when X-ray was taken, and bone lengthening was discovered as a result of this coincidence.
- Gavriil Ilizarov was inspired by a piece of horse carriages to prepare the external fixator, which now we call “Ilizarov apparatus”, and used the original bicycle parts for this device.
- The first legal cosmetic limb lengthening surgery was done in 1992 by Russian surgeon on Mikhail Goldreer, he increased his height 6 cm. Currently he works as a Psychologist and Manager in the Anthropometric (orthopedic) Cosmetology and Correction Center that he established in Volgograd.
- Immediately after Napoleon came to power in 1799, he began to apply height conditions to all French troops. He brought the condition of being at least 5 feet 10 inches (ie 1.78) to the elite Imperial Guard and also minimum of 5 feet 7 inches (ie 1.70) to the special guards, the “elite horsemen”… This made the impression that Napoleon was “short” because it was noticeable by the soldiers around him most of the time.
- “Napoleon complex” is a theorised condition occurring in people of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behaviour, and carries the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject’s stature.
- The study, of 1.3 million Spaniards, found that every additional centimetre in height shaved 0.7 years from the total expected lifespan.
- According to some sources, Tiffanie DiDonato, who was born with a rare type of dwarf disease, underwent a total of 12 operations on her arms and legs and lengthened her height by 35 cm. Tiffanie has 2 sons. Now she is 147 cm tall.
- According to the survey results from UK study of 2,000 men in the UK, 1.53 cm women are more attractive for them. Research has shown that men find short height women more appealing and charming.
It turned out by men that women with these measures, including famous stars like Shakira, Victoria Beckham and Salma Hayek are the most attractive women. In Turkey celebrities such as Pelin Karahan, Demet Evgar and Hazal Kaya are closest to the ideal female profile.