Questions and Answers About Limb Lengthening Surgery
- Is There Any Age Limit for Limb Lengthening Surgery?
- How can I learn if my growth plates are closed or not?
- Which methods do you use for cosmetic limb lengthening surgery?
- How many cm can I gain in one session?
- Does the Cosmetic Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost depend on how many cm I get as a result?
- Is the Limb Lengthening Cost Paid From the State/Insurance?
- Which Hospitals Can Perform Limb Lengthening Surgery?
- Do scars remain after limb lengthening operation?
- Can Tibia and Femur be increased in the same session?
- I want to have one session. Which one will be increased; femur or tibia?
- I have to decide two sessions. When will I have the second one?
- How should I do to be up to easily of the lengthening period?
- Can I walk after the leg lengthening surgery?
- How many days will I stay at the hospital after surgery?
- Can I complete my lengthening period at the hospital?
- Can I continue to my school/work?
- When will I return my school/work?
- I am a sportsman. Can I do sports after limb lengthening surgery like I used to do before?
- Will I take a report even if I have a cosmetic limb lengthening surgery?
- Is there any risk of limb lengthening surgery?
- Will my arms increase together with my legs? Will there be a disproportion in my body after long?
You can find answers to popular questions about limb lengthening surgery.
A) Frequently Asked Questions Before Limb Lengthening Surgery/ Decision Time
1) Is There Any Age Limit for Limb Lengthening Surgery?
Natural growth process in children, teenagers and young adults happens due to the growth plates at the ends of bones. These cartilage plates close (turn into bone tissue and ossify`) at the age of around 17-21. Since the person cannot grow anymore from now on, the only possible way of increasing height becomes limb lengthening operation. In short, the lower age limit for LL surgery is 17-18.
As for the upper age limit, people under the age of 50 can be eligible for this surgical procedure only after necessary bone quality tests (for example, bone mineral density test) and other medical examinations. Since human bones become more brittle and heal much slower at higher ages, people close to upper age have to be thoroughly examined.
2) How can I learn if my growth plates are closed or not?
To find out if your growth plates are closed or not and whether you can still grow naturally, you should see an endocrinologist if you are under 18 and an orthopedist if you are 18 and older.
Usually the state of growth plates are visible in x-ray images, thus you can provide us your x-ray and our doctors will examine it and will provide you info about your eligibility for limb lengthening surgery. Please contact us for online consultation.
3) Which methods do you use for cosmetic limb lengthening surgery?
4) How many cm can I gain in one session?
With any of the three methods, mentioned above, 5-8 cm increase in height is possible in single operation. More lengthening is strongly discouraged because your muscles, nerves and blood vessels may get damaged under excessive tension. If you want 12-15 cm lengthening, you should undergo one surgery on, for example, femur (thigh bones), then after several months have another operation on tibia (calf bones).
5) Does the Cosmetic Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost depend on how many cm I get as a result?
Our limb lengthening surgery costs do not depend on the amount of lengthening. The prices in our website are for single operation on both legs, regardless of how many centimeters you will get. If you want to gain 12-15 cm, you will need to undergo 2 sessions and in this case, you will have to pay the price of two surgeries.
6) Is the Limb Lengthening Cost Paid From the State/Insurance?
No. Since it is a cosmetic surgery, the fees cannot be paid by state/insurance company (at least in Turkey). However, check with your insurance company for more accurate info.
7) Which Hospitals Can Perform Limb Lengthening Surgery?
We would recommend to research limb lengthening surgeons first, instead of hospitals, because doctor experience plays a more important role in the quality of the surgery result. After you make your choice of doctor, you can look into the hospitals for which your doctor works.
8) Do scars remain after limb lengthening operation?
With Holyfix and LON method, there will be a surgery scar after the surgery. In Precice method, as the nails are internal, the scars of surgery will be almost invisible. In either case, these surgery scars can be erased by laser treatment.
9) Can Tibia and Femur be increased in the same session?
Performing limb lengthening surgery on femurs and tibias of both legs simultaneously is strongly discouraged. Because this type of quadrilateral surgery would mean 4 fractures on different parts of the body, and the immune system may find it difficult to cope with this much trauma, and the pain can be really unbearable.
10) I want to have one session. Which one will be increased; femur or tibia?
Even if longer tibia looks like more aesthetic for women and longer femur looks like more aesthetic for men, there is no bound for that. Furthermore, while lengthening of the femur, the limitation of movement is more than the tibia.In general, it is possible to 1 cm more lengthening of tibia.
11) I have to decide two sessions. When will I have the second one?
To second surgery you must complete the recovery time of the first surgery. In this way, you can have the second surgery at least 6 months after the first one.
12) How should I do to be up to easily of the lengthening period?
To start physiotherapy sooner, to do stretching and especially swimming will be better for you. In addition to these, you should try to prepare feeling ready of the surgery yourself and have this when you feel ready helps for being up to the lengthening period. In addition to these, you should prepare to feeling ready of the surgery and when you feel ready, you should have the surgery.
B) Frequently Asked Questions After Limb Lengthening Surgery/ Lengthening Period
1) Can I walk after the leg lengthening surgery?
Even if some people can walk without any support after the first week, mostly, they can walk by walker first 2-3 months. This situation can be change to each person. If you pay attention to your physiotherapy after the surgery then you could get through faster.
2) How many days will I stay at the hospital after surgery?
You stay for approximately 5 days at the hospital. During this time you learn how can you take care of your hygiene and how do you do your exercise.
3) Can I complete my lengthening period at the hospital?
Lengthening period is approximately 3-4 months. In this time you should stay at your home and take care of yourself. If you stay for 3-4 months at the hospital then you have to the bed/room which is needed by somebody. Even if hospitals clean all the time, hundreds of patient come every day. To don’t catch an infection and for your hygiene, it is better to stay at your house.
4) Can I continue to my school/work?
Even if doctors don’t recommend to go to school/work because of to take care of yourself, you can go to your work (desk job etc.) by your doctor’s consent.
5) When will I return my school/work?
After the finish of your lengthening period, the devices which help to lengthen will be removed. 2-5 weeks after this time you can come back to your usual life. When you complete this period, you can continue your school/job.
6) I am a sportsman. Can I do sports after limb lengthening surgery like I used to do before?
This depends on the spore you are doing. Nonetheless, you have to wait at least 1 year for heavy sports like weightlifting. For light sports, you can do it at the doctor’s check after 6 months.
7) Will I take a report even if I have a cosmetic limb lengthening surgery?
Yes. You will receive a delegation report on your operation. You can learn the contents of the report by talking to your doctor during the examination.
8) Is there any risk of limb lengthening surgery?
As in every surgery, limb lengthening surgery has some risks. Risks such as infection risk, ballerina syndrome, and joint stiffness are among the risks that can be seen after limb lengthening surgery. If you do your exercises, your physiotherapy regularly and pay attention to your hygiene, you will minimize these risks.
9) Will my arms increase together with my legs? Will there be a disproportion in my body after long?
Your arms will not lengthen with your legs. The 6-8 cm increased does not change your overall body rate. The aesthetic sensation has changed to make the legs longer, and you can observe it by looking at the latest models.
Our consultants at Wannabetaller can answer your all questions about leg lengthening surgery, not displayed in this article: Ask Our Consultants